Electrical Service Upgrade and/or Relocation
To assist you in making changes to your existing electrical service with Beltrami Electric Cooperative, we have outlined the process below. You may contact our office at (218) 444-2540 or (800) 955-6083 and any of our member service representatives will be happy to assist you with this process or answer any questions.
Complete the Following Steps to Upgrade or Relocate an Existing Electric Service
The easement is created by Beltrami Electric Cooperative and must be signed by all affected property owners.
In order to complete the easement, please provide a copy of the property Warranty Deed or Reservation/Tribal Land assignment that includes the land owner’s names and a legal description of the property.
Right-of-Way Easements give Beltrami Electric permission to install and maintain electrical equipment on your property. (Tax statements will not be accepted)
** Contact our office to determine if an updated easement is needed for this service upgrade.
Please see links to the information for your county below:
** After all of the above steps are completed, contact Beltrami Electric Cooperative at 218-444-2540 or (800) 955-6083 between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm to schedule a staking appointment.
Contact our member services department at (218) 444-2540 or (800) 955-6083 to schedule an appointment with our staking engineer.
The homeowner or contractor must be available to meet with the engineer to determine the work that needs to be completed. The engineer will provide an cost estimate for work at this time.
**Please have in mind where your other utilities are located.
The staking technician will determine what amount is due for changing your electrical service.
- The cost to relocate, extend or convert primary or secondary underground shall be $750 in addition to the following for footage:
- Single phase primary and secondary - $4.00/foot
- If service is being upgraded for off-peak heating load, service upgrade fee will only be $350 and include the first 200 feet of wire. Beyond the first 200 feet, will be $4.00/foot.
- The cost to relocate a pole, pad mount transformer or pedestal along the path of existing line shall be $750 plus the following rates:
- $225 per hour for a two-man crew plus material
- $450 per hour for a four-man crew plus material
- Frost charges of an additional $7.00 per foot with a $500.00 minimum will be applied to all underground services installed between November 1 and May 1 of each year, dependent on MnDOT road restrictions.
- The cost for directional boring shall be at the current contracted rate plus materials.
- The cost to relocate, extend or convert primary or secondary overhead line shall be determined at the time of construction.
- The cost for any upgrades to a three-phase service will be determined upon a staking consultation. Contact the office for more information.
- All construction cost estimates are valid for the current construction season and do not include any membership fee or deposits that may be due.
- A member requesting a change referred to in the above items must make a contribution in aid of construction. The cost of the job is to be estimated, agreed upon, and a non-refundable down payment of 30% of the total cost to be paid in advance before any work is initiated. The remaining 70% is to be paid before construction begins.
- The member will be responsible for any additional costs associated with permits and directional boring related to their construction request.
- This type of work will be done as construction crews are available. New services, maintenance, road moves and other necessary line construction will have priority over all of the above.
- The member will be required to pay the remaining undepreciated value of any primary underground facilities that are abandoned due to a relocation request unless the customer pays 100% of the construction costs for the relocation.
Upon completion of the above steps, contact Beltrami Electric Cooperative at (218) 444-2540 or (800) 955-6083 to schedule the construction for the changes to your service. The operations department will be able to provide you a tentative time frame of which week your service is scheduled. If this changes, you will be notified.
Emergencies, such as outages take priority over construction of services.
It is the owner’s responsibility to locate and expose their private facilities before construction takes place. Any water lines buried deeper than 48 inches do not have to be exposed. The cooperative is not responsible for damages to private lines such as cable TV, satellite, private electrical, water, well, sewer, telephone, gas, lift station pump lines, invisible dog fences or sprinkler system lines.
Private facilities are found everywhere, including single-family homes, multi-family housing units, industrial areas, trailer parks, shopping centers and sometimes in the road right-of-way. Other private facilities can include: natural gas farm taps, natural gas or propane gas underground piping to buildings, gas grills and pool heaters, private water systems, data communication lines, underground sprinkler systems, invisible fences and many others.
If you have private facilities that you would like to have located, you may contact Cooperative Development, LLC. (See below)
Cooperative Development provides residential and commercial directional drilling services and private locating services in north central Minnesota. Our experienced crew can help you with all of your directional drilling needs for water and sewer lines, sprinkler systems, underground power lines and more.
Within the Beltrami Electric service area, you may contact Cooperative Development at (218) 444-1143, and their locators will locate your private facilities for a fee.
State of Minnesota Electrical Inspectors
Any time you or an electrician performs wiring or other electrical work at your home, farm or business, Minnesota state law requires a state electrical inspector to conduct a proper inspection of the work. The state of Minnesota has high wiring standards, which are in the best interest of you, your family and your employees,
Below is a list of electrical inspectors covering the area served by Beltrami Electric. They can be reached by phone Monday through Friday from 7:00 am - 8:30 am or by fax or email as indicated.